Proposals for ERC funding may be submitted annually for all ERC funding schemes according to the calls for proposals. There is a one-step submission and a two-step evaluation process for Starting Grants, Consolidator Grants and Advanced Grants. The proposals are submitted online by the Principal Investigator (PI) via the Participant Portal.
The following conditions have to be considered:
- Only one subission per Work Programme is eligible.
- One PI can only be granted one ERC Grant at a time. Only during the last two years before the end of an ERC Grant a new proposal can be submitted.
- If a PI is also involved in the evaluation of one Call he/she is not allowed to submit a proposal for that Call. This is also the case if the person has been involved in the evaluation during the two years prior to the current Call.
- The Host Institution must engage the PI at least for the duration of the project.
Re-submission for Starting Grant, Consolidator Grant, Advanced Grant
Proposals that were rejected for formal reasons can be resubmitted without any restriction.
If an evaluated proposal is not recommended for funding a re-submission is possible under the following circumstances:
- Proposals which were ranked with an A may be resubmitted in the next round.
- Proposals which were ranked with a B in the second evaluation step may be resubmitted in the next application round.*
- Proposals which were ranked with a B in the first evaluation step may be resubmitted after a pause of one call.
- Proposals which were ranked with a C may be resubmitted after a pause of two Calls.
*This regulation starts with Work Programme 2016.
The proposal submission for ERC Synergy Grants is structured differently.
A complete proposal consists of the following parts:
- Online administration forms (A-forms)
- Project proposal: the scientific proposal consists of two parts. Part B1 includes the PI's profile with CV and Funding ID, a track-record as well as a summary (five pages) of the project goals (Extended Synopsis). Part B2 consists of a more detailed description of the project on a maximum of 15 pages.
- Annexes: 1. Letter of Commitment of the Host Institution and Confirmation of the PI's independence (Commitment of the Host Institution); 2. Doctoral degree / or proof of prolonged eligibility; 3. Ethical Issues Annex where applicable