Interested in doing groundbreaking research in Germany?
The European Research Council (ERC) provides funding opportunities for excellent researchers and their teams regardless of their nationality and current place of work. Germany’s research landscape offers a wide range of outstanding host institutions in all scientific areas. The impressive number of German research institutions and universities hosting one or more of the distinguished ERC grants speaks for itself. Here you will find the ideal place for your research project and team.
What kind of grants are available?
The ERC annually launches calls for proposals for three funding schemes:
- Starting Grants, open to researchers between 2 and 7 years after PhD, maxium funding: 2 million euros.
- Consolidator Grants, open to researchers between 7 and 12 years after PhD, maxium funding: 2.75 million euros.
- Advanced Grants, open to established researchers with at least 10 years of significant research achievements, maximum funding: 3.5 million euros.
Who can apply?
What you need for your application is:
- an innovative idea for a research project at the frontiers of science,
- an excellent scientific track record (publications and other achievements)
- a host institution in Europe (any research performing organisation, i.e. universities, research organisations or private companies).
What kind of research will be funded?
Projects of innovative and groundbreaking nature in all fields of research (including Social Sciences and Humanities),
- No pre-defined thematic areas or topics ("bottom up"),
- Scientific excellence (of the scientist and the project idea) is the sole criterion for project selection
Important documents for application
In order to find out more about the application procedure, please download the respective Guide for Applicants, the ERC Work Programme and the compulsory templates here.
Who provides further information?
The German National Contact Point ERC, a collaboration between the EU-Bureau of the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (EU-Büro des BMBF) and the "European Liaison Office of the German Research Organisations", offers its services to all researchers with (future) host institutions in Germany.
You are welcome to contact us by phone or e-mail in order to seek advice with your application to the ERC. At the same time please contact your envisaged host institution (HI) to ensure its support and an unobstructed flow of information between scientist, HI and NCP.
The NCP ERC's brochure "ERC funded research in Germany” provides an overview over a selection of attractive science locations in Germany and demonstrates the many advantages of coming to Germany with an ERC Grant.
Services and Publications of the NCP ERC:
- General information on the ERC as well as consultation on grant application and grant management (by phone and e-mail, also in English)
- Pre-Submission check of your application
- Organisation of Workshops and information events (in German and English)
- Publications (in German and English)
- Newsletter (in German and English)
Further Information on the ERC in English
- ERC Homepage: http://erc.europa.eu
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) in English: http://erc.europa.eu/faq
- Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF): http://www.bmbf.de/en/7554.php
Research in Germany: Further information in English
- The EURAXESS network provides plenty of practical information for foreign researchers interested in living and working in Germany: http://www.euraxess.de/portal/home_en.html
- Find research-performing organisations in Germany: http://www.research-in-germany.de/research-landscape/41834/rpo.html